Can Hands Up provide a report for and attend a tribunal for an Education, Health and Care Plan?
We contribute to EHCPs only for youngsters we are already involved with. We do not otherwise provide an Expert Witness service.
Can Hands Up diagnose Dyspraxia?
- OT can assess for many of the underlying issues which can point to a diagnosis of Developmental Coordination Disorder (often called Dyspraxia). Our reports outline the features found during the assessment, which also needs information from home and school to help identify the criteria used to make a diagnosis
- Ideally, a medical doctor should confirm a diagnosis and our reports contain the information that would be helpful
- Sometimes Psychologists identify that a child may have features of Dyspraxia. It is important that additional assessment is made by an OT prior to using this “label” or diagnosis.
Does Hands Up provide Sensory Integration Therapy?
- The OTs at Hands Up have training and experience using Sensory Integration theory and techniques but we do not provide “pure” SI Therapy with specialist equipment. We can signpost you to other organisations if you are looking for this approach specifically
- Hands Up therapists do assess for and work with children and young people who have Sensory Processing difficulties
Can Hands Up diagnose ADHD and ASD?
- No. These are developmental disorders that require specialist assessment by a Paediatrician and/or Psychologist and/ or Speech and Language Therapist
- We can help to signpost parents to other relevant professionals
- However, OT can often contribute helpful observations and information that might assist in making a diagnosis.
Do Hands Up work with other professionals?
- Parental consent will always be sought before making contact with anyone else.
- OT usually prefers to make links with other professionals working with a youngster, to ensure we are working consistently and to share relevant information.
- We are fortunate in having links with other professionals working independently in the area. More information can be found here: http://swapgroup.org/
Can I use private health insurance for your services?
Please check with your insurance provider in the first instance as they vary in the cover they provide for OT. If you would like to discuss this further with us please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org.